Thursday, January 14, 2010

Who said the mainstream media is liberal?

I thought this was telling http://www.getreligion.org/?p=24471

With all the hoopla surrounding Glenn Beck, I decided to start watching him the past few weeks. I hadn't seen him since his days on CNN. I have to admit, he's pretty scary. I'll give his detractors a little credit to calling him a demagogue, but pretty much most of what he says is fact so I can't give them any credit for calling him the "Misinformer of the Year." Watching him creates a big fear in me though. One, if what he implies about various Washington people is correct, then I fear for his life. Two, similarly, if what he says is correct and they don't take option one, I fear they will try to discredit him via his Mormonism...hopefully, neither occurs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the link you have, and even though I think the mainstream media is very liberally biased, I didn't see a whole lot wrong with what that link points out.

Carson Calderwood said...

I agree that the things they did there are not egregious errors, but journalists supposedly live by a code of honor that involves integrity in reporting what the facts are w/o the bias. Most who put themselves forth as true journalists won't do anything too obvious, but will intentionally skew their reporting as was shown in that piece.

Anonymous said...

I get what you're saying. Maybe the kicker for me was that it came from the Washington Times. That and the New York Times are essentially biased media at its finest. They don't even try to hide the fact that they lean liberal. So, given that, I'm not too concerned that the WT (white trash?) engaged in such shady journalism.

Paul Giggz said...

Wow seems to me mnone of you do not know what the word Liberal mean. cause if you did than you will see that no present day media outlet or political party is Liberal. Google the meaning of Liberal and you wil know what I'm saying.

Carson Calderwood said...

I think what we've said jives perfectly with the modern definition of liberalism. The media themselves admit to it. Those who benefit from it deny it.

"Since 1962, there have been 11 surveys of the media that sought the political views of hundreds of journalists. In 1971, they were 53 percent liberal, 17 percent conservative. In a 1976 survey of the Washington press corps, it was 59 percent liberal, 18 percent conservative. A 1985 poll of 3,200 reporters found them to be self-identified as 55 percent liberal, 17 percent conservative. In 1996, another survey of Washington journalists pegged the breakdown as 61 percent liberal, 9 percent conservative. Now, the new study by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found the national media to be 34 percent liberal and 7 percent conservative."